Monday, October 11, 2010

Basketry Hat!!

For one of my design classes I had to use a basketry method initially to make a basket. But I used this method to make a hat, something that can be used as a fashion accessory. We see many baskets in the market which are certainly very cheap and anyone can buy them. We have no idea how difficult it is to make a basket, and you can’t appreciate this art until you try making one your self. Baskets are not made by any sort of machines, so all the baskets or related things in the market that you see are hand made. I had never appreciated basketry before until I had to do this assignment. 

(Image by Faizan Dar)

To do basketry you will need yarn, basketry needles and rope, I was thinking that it won’t be very challenging to do, until I started with the practice in class. My teacher showed us the whole procedure. 


I started it in the class, and I was excited that I was getting it until the instructor came and told me that I have to do it again because my pattern is not right. For a minute I felt like not doing it at all because it was consuming a lot of time and energy. When I went home I started it again. I was using the basketry method to make a hat. It took me consecutively 10 hours to complete it, but it was still looking an ordinary thing.
(Image by Faizan Dar)



In order to make it more presentable I took a thick metallic thread which was complementing the color of the yarn. I breaded this thread and let it hang from the cap, and at the end of each string of thread I hanged a bead of similar color. The idea was that the hat will be clipped on the head while the metallic thread will hang in the hair. Then I added some more embellishment to the hat like putting thinner metallic thread of alternate colors and in the end I added some feathers to the hat as well.


(Image by Faizan Dar)


This hat can make you look very fashionable, and while you are wearing this hat you can appreciate the amount of time and effort that has been put into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment