Monday, October 11, 2010

Design from Without


Inspiration is very important for us humans. We can’t do anything without being inspired from the things around us. I get inspiration from the things that I see around me. These includes everyday objects, nature, weather and events that i see on the news. I am very inspired by the old things, I like using old things and making something useful out of them. Its like an achievement. I remember using dry plants to make jewelry, using paper, buttons, laces and ribbons to make greeting cards. I remember once I used a piece of broken clock to make a necklace.

Recently in my design 70 class I got a chance to manifest some of these inspirations in my work. It was a plaiting assignment and Instead of buying new materials I went to the thrift store and bought an old leather bag. It was in very bad condition and it costed me $2. I cut the undamaged part of the purse in to long wide strips. Then I plaited them together, and used the inner cloth of this bag for the lining of this pouch, I also installed  a zipper to make it secure. Each strip was plaited horizontally on to the vertical ones. I used the remaining part of leather to make a bracelet and embellished it with beads. It turned out to be a quite good looking bracelet. Both of these pieces were liked by my professor and peers. I got 96 out of 100 points on that assignment, for being creative and innovative. The pouch can be used as a pencil case, make-up kit or traveling bag. 
(image by faizan dar)

My advice to people is that they should find old things instead of buying new things and turn them into something that can be used in our daily life. This way you will not only save money, but you will also recycle the old material while enjoying your creative side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment